What ho, gents!
Two excellent pals, the lovely Miss Holmes of Gondor and the charming Maribeth, have tagged me for the Mystery Blogger Award … and, coming off a miserable, stress-ridden week of pandemic emergency scares (long story, we’re all good now), I couldn’t be more grateful for the distraction. ❤
Mystery Blogger Award: Rules
- Put the award logo/image on your blog.
- Thank whoever nominated you and provide a link to their blog. (See above!)
- Mention the creator of the award and provide a link as well. (This award was created by Okoto Enigma.)
- Answer the 5 questions you were asked.
- Tell your readers 3 things about yourself.
- Nominate 10-20 people.
- Notify your nominees by commenting on their blogs.
- Ask your nominees any 5 questions of your choice; with one weird or funny question.
- Share a link to your best post(s).
Now, since I’m answering not one but two sets of questions, this could get long & rambly … but THAT’S EXACTLY THE TYPE OF POST I’M IN THE MOOD FOR RIGHT NOW, so buckle up, buckos. Let the orgy commence. xD
Miss Holmes of Gondor’s Questions
1. What was a book that you read as a child that you still have fond thoughts of?
Oh, gosh. So many. But one I haven’t talked anywhere near enough about on this blog would be The Phantom Tollbooth, by Norton Juster. It’s the story of a little boy named Milo who’s bored with school and hates his life, until he drives through a magic “tollbooth” to this strange, new land where concepts like language and math and curiosity and Reason itself are personified by a HUGE cast of zany, allegorical characters, ready to play with Milo, fight with him, and argue with him … until he finally comes to appreciate the power of the human mind. It’s pretty trippy. I love it soooooo much.
2. Star Wars or Star Trek?
Definitely Star Wars. I had a dad who introduced me to both universes at a very early age; but while I have fond memories of watching Trek with him, it’s not something I’ve ever wanted to go back to. Star Wars, on the other hand, is l i f e. I’m not entirely sure why the one grabbed onto my imagination while the other slipped away. I do recall I never liked Captain Kirk (I thought he was “stupid” for “always getting in trouble,” I was a very judgmental kid xD), but it can’t just be about my distaste for Kirk, cuz I remember watching the Picard years, too, and those didn’t jive with me, either.
3. Have you ever finished a full-length novel, or are you planning to do so soon?
Yep! *beams* I’ve finished one full length novel, one … very long novella?? that I hope to edit to full-novel status?? Meanwhile, I’m in the middle of another novel as we speak!
4. What is your favorite genre to write?
5. How old were you when you started blogging/writing?
Ha! I didn’t start writing or blogging until I was in my early 20s. (Fyi, I just turned 26, if you wanna do the math. #i am but a Newbie #and this is Okay)
1. What was your favorite childhood toy?
An American Girl style doll named Rosa. She had bright red hair in a very thick braid, and bright green eyes.
2. If you could live in one fictional universe, which one would it be?
Going for the obvious answer, here: I’ll choose the universe of Doctor Who–provided, of course, I get to travel with the Doctor. 😉 I DON’T wanna just be one of the random peeps who never lays eyes on him. *shudders* I need some time with my man, m’kay?
3. Given the choice, would you time travel to the past…or the future?
Are there … are there actually people who want to travel to the future? Wouldn’t you be–terrified??? Terrified of what you’d see?? Cuz I would. If I ever travel in time, it’ll be to the past: to some period I can actually research and prepare for beforehand.
4. If you could pick three different songs to describe your life, what would they be?
Three songs to describe my life, mm? That’s a tough one. As witness the fact that I’ve been thinking about it for the better part of 24 hours, and I still only got two. 😛 “Waving Through a Window,” from Dear Evan Hansen; I know, I know, it’s morbid, but I WAS AN EXTREMELY INTROVERTED AND ANXIOUS CHILD & TEENAGER, OKAY. “Did I even make a sound–did I even make a sound–it’s like I never made a sound–will I ever make a sound?!?” #relatable content Meanwhile, “Wildflowers” by Tom Petty represents (in my mind) life as an adult, where I’m learning how to be calmer and happier and gentler with myself overall.
You belong among the wildflowers,
You belong on a boat out at sea,
You belong with your love on your arm,
You belong somewhere you feel free.
5. What have you learned about yourself during Quarantine Life?
Not to get Deep™ on Main here, but … I’ve learned, as a Catholic, that Mass and the Eucharist are even more vital to my personal, spiritual life than I ever thought they were. Dead serious. I never–ever–EVER–want to go without them, EVER AGAIN.
You know how it is: you grow up in a good Catholic family, and Mass is something you do because Mom and Dad drag your butt to that church every single week, no questions asked, and there’s this tiny little voice at the back of your mind, “am I doing this for me … or for them?”
I got my answer. It’s definitely for me.
OKAY, YOU PROVED YOUR POINT, GOD, YOU CAN TAKE AWAY THE VIRUS AND HAVE THEM OPEN THE CHURCHES NOW.
I’m fine. I promise. I’m f i n e e e e e e
#whew that went dark
Now, it’s time for …
Three Things About Me!
#1 I’m an INFP, Enneagram 4w5, and a Hufflepuff/Gryffindor according to this super awesome Hogwarts sorting system. I’m actually planning to do a series of blog posts about personality typing, how it helps me navigate relationships, and how it helps me write. Let’s hope I don’t just, er, totally forget to do it now that I’ve said I will. Not like I’ve ever done such a thing in the past. No, no, no. *nervous INFP laughter*
#2 I have obsessive-compulsive disorder, I’ve had it since I was eleven years old, and–in my case at least–it has nothing to do with constant hand-washing or aligning furniture. Kill the stereotypes. 😛
#3 My favorite TV show is The West Wing, and my favorite food is hot dogs. Which … now that I think about it, makes me sound like I’m trying to be aggressively American & patriotic??? Like I’m about to say next “my favorite bird is the bald eagle, and my favorite sport is baseball.” WHICH IS NOT TRUE AT ALL. I just have a yen for complex, rich, slow-burn political dramas … and as for the hot dog thing, what can I say? They’re yummy!! *piles on chopped onions and squirts mustard*
My Five Questions For the Tag-ees
- Your opinion on The Hunger Games?
- What was your favorite subject in high school, and what do you think that says about you as a person?
- If you could choose any meme to represent your inner soul, which meme would you be? (you know, Dark Kermit, angry lady yelling at cat, Blinking White Guy, Sponge-Bob’s “aight I’mma head out,” etc.)
- Do you prefer movies or TV shows? Why?
- Honest answer: Would you be any good as a spy or secret agent? Why or why not?
Links to My Best Posts (heh):
I lied, I ain’t tagging individual people. I’ve got the stomach flu. I feel like a vegetable. If you wanna do this tag and answer my questions, though, be my guest.
Until next time,