Calling all women writers!
The requirements are simple. You just need to be a woman who likes writing about your favorite books, movies, TV shows, and Other Geeky Things.™
Femnista puts out an issue every two months. Each issue centers around a single theme in literature, film, history, etc. Most of our articles are nonfiction pieces, but I’m pretty sure I saw a Christmas-themed Sherlock Holmes fanfic in one holiday issue, so, y’know. Think outside the box!
I’ve been writing for Femnista for four years under the pen name Jessica Prescott. I figured I would share some of my past articles here, to give you guys a better idea what we do.
- My most recent article, “Thanks, Prince Ivan,” is a slightly sarcastic look at the Russian legend of Koschei the Deathless.
- In “It’s (Not) Just a Phase: My Love Affair with Opera,” I recall my years as a teenager obsessed with classic opera singers. Weird, I know.
- In “The Fabulous Forties,” I lay out my concerns with our culture’s tendency to romanticize the World War II period.
- “The Ship of Souls” examines one of my favorite war novels, Salt to the Sea.
- In “Matriarch: An Immigrant Woman in the Gilded Age,” I share a special piece of my family’s history.
- One of my earliest contributions to the magazine, “Eternal Observer,” celebrates the character of Death from The Book Thief.
- Finally, last Halloween, I wrote one of my favorite Femnista pieces, “Haunted By the Past: The Do’s and Don’ts of Writing Fictional Trauma.”
Be sure to check out our future themes and see if anything sparks your interest! We’ve got a great lineup next year—“Family,” “90s Movies,” “Space,” “Adventure,” “Villains,” and much more!
Hope to see you there!